Tuesday, May 10, 2011

light as a feather, stiff as a board

I had my second ride on George this weekend! I was sick most of the weekend, and I haven't been updating on here like I was, but I think it's good for me to keep up on it!

I had another wonderful bareback ride Sunday. I'm getting better about getting up that high! I wanted to do a pushing passenger lesson, but there were other people riding, dogs rushing us, and horses galloping and playing about. Although I was expecting a freak out, I didn't get it, I just had him turn and face things he thought were interesting, then walk again. He was SO LIGHT! Phase one go, phase one whoa, phase one turn, disengage, phase 2 backup. I attribute this more to the fact that he's hyper-sensitive and less to all the work that I've been doing (on the occaison that I have time, ha!), but a girl can hope. He was also rather Left-Brained dominant; hmmmm....how interesting!!!  At one point he started stamping his hind legs and tossing his head over and over. I unstuck his feet and he was good, then when I got off him I checked his back and he didn't have any pain so I know that wasn't it.

Also another hmmm how interesting moment: I've noticed that when George is cantering on the 22-foot line, only to the left, he canters on the left lead and gallops with his hind. I have to say, I'm sure this a reason for it, but it's hysterical to watch!

I've decided the most important thing to do is make sure I have a plan with George. I have days where I feel that we aren't progressing anywhere near as fast as we should be, and on other days I'm excited with our progress and attribute the fact that we are not that advanced yet to the lack of time we've been together and our clashing personalities. BUT, if I have a plan, and it's not too demanding, it seems to work out really well for both of us!

add note: to explain the title...George is SUPER light, and while he moved much better with me riding him this time than last time, I can still feel that he's stiff. Well, not so much stiff, but very unsure of how to use his body while I ride him.

No comments:

Post a Comment